We facilitate school readiness
The West Haven Community House’s Head Start program, established in 1978, facilitates school readiness for 144 preschool children ages 3 to 5 from income eligible families. School Readiness is defined as children possessing the skills, knowledge, and attitudes necessary for success in school and for later learning. We do this by supporting the child’s development in a comprehensive way, including physical and mental health, as well as social, emotional, and cognitive development.
Parents and families are supported in achieving their own goals, such as housing stability, continued education, and financial security. Programs support and strengthen parent-child relationships and engage families around children’s learning and development. Head Start programming is responsive to the ethnic, cultural, and linguistic heritage of each child and family.
The program is licensed by the CT Office of Early Childhood and offers two program options.
Part-Day: The part-day, part-year model is free of charge, operating for 10 months.
Full-Day: The full-day, full-year model uses a state sliding scale for determining family fees. Priority is given to children of parents who are working or going to school. This program is open year round. The state’s child care assistance program, Care 4 Kids, is accepted.
Enrollment is open, as available, to families who:
- Live in West Haven;
- Have a child/children who are three or four-years-old.
- Must meet Federal Income Eligiblity Guidelines. Click here to find out if you meet the guidelines.
(limited spaces for families who exceed income guidelines)
- Children, ages 3-4, from West Haven families receiving public assistance, such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), are eligible regardless of income.
- Or have a child of the required age with special needs.
Call 203-934-5221, ext 151 for assistance
Head Start Contacts
(203) 934-5221 x155
Head Start Office
(203) 934-5221 x135
Note New Guidelines:
- Children, ages 3-4, from West Haven families receiving public assistance, such as TANF, SNAP or SSI, are eligible for Head Start regardless of income